- As I continue in my search to find out more about what I am feeding my family and WHY I would choose one thing over the other, I am continually coming across more information.
- I'll pass things along and you can read or NOT read, as you wish!
The following article is titled:
"Major Confusion Between Organic and Healthy"and comes from the MERCOLA.com website (thanks mom!). I am not necessarily endorsing this website or their many products, because I don't know enough about them...and they do sell an awful lot of stuff...which makes me hesitant. I am also not suggesting that this particular article is the best one on its topic.
- In fact, this kind of article, with the same subject, is prevalent in the discussion of "whole foods". Enjoy!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
So, I ran across this Great Cloth Diaper Hunt Competition starting on April 15th. Sounds totally cool with lots of prizes, and somebody's got to win! I never win anything...but I'm totally doing it anyway (I've got the time!). Just thought I'd pass it on!
- Just a quick reminder... there are two days left to vote!
- Thanks again!
- 1. Go to http://www.seethebestyoucansee.com
- 2. Enter your name and email address.
- 3. Click on ackelley video and VOTE.
Make sure you click on the little video selection that says ackelley. THANKS!
Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Well, here you have it...It's all over. There is no way out for us. All 24 diapers are pre-washing at the very moment I am writing this blog...leaving me with no return ability. AHHHHHHHHHH! From now on, the Bickertons are Cloth Diaper-ers. Until death or potty training do us part! Good Grief!
The process of choosing and purchasing aforementioned cloth diapers and all the accessories has certainly been a long one. That's just because I obsessed over it like I do everything else. And, there are a lot of options and a lot of reasons for doing one thing or the other. Then, there are a lot of things you need to know about the products you do eventually settle on.
- Now, it doesn't have to be that difficult, of course. I've read a lot of comments and blogs from different people who have an array of different kinds of cloth diapers in their "stash" and are always trying new things. These same people are also trying different laundry detergents, accessories, diaper colors and washing methods until they find the one they like best.
- These are the same people who have been a wealth of information for me as I've gone about my diaper inquisition. But, I really didn't want to do it that way. It would totally stress me out. I just wanted to decide on something and call it a day.
- So, I thought I would jot down what I decided and, why, for those of you who have expressed interest or curiosity. For those of you who think I am totally crazy...well, you are absolutely right. But, I'm having a grand old time at it!
- Diaper Brand: OKAY...the BumGenius brand has a pretty good wrap (no leaking, convenient, ease of use, one size option, good fit, etc.) and a friend had already told me about them. I got one to test out and decided I agreed with the masses (although plenty of people love other brands, too).
- Diaper Style: There were three options that I was looking at: the one size pocket diaper , the all-in-one and the one-size organic. I had wanted organic, but there is some question as to whether or not they do well with leaking and the natural cotton keeps baby's skin pretty wet, while the synthetic keeps the wetness away from the skin. Also, I wouldn't be able to add any extra stuffing and I really think that Gwendolyn is a HEAVY peeing one.
- With the all-in-ones, it's really like you are using a disposable. It's just one piece and there is nothing you need to stuff into the diaper, though you do have an option to put extra padding in for night-time if you want. But, with the all-in-ones, you have to buy different sizes. Although the all-in-one would have been my first choice, I felt like i would have had to buy these diapers four different times. It wasn't worth it to me. Once I got further into this process I decided I was all IN. I want these diapers to last and I didn't want to spend any more money on them, until absolutely necessary.
- Ultimately, I wanted a diaper that worked VERY well and saved me tons of money. I guess, for me and Bic, these priorities just trumped the other desires like organic fibers and all-in-one ease. So, the one size pocket diaper won out.
- Cloth Diaper Accessories: I had recently stopped using Kirkland Baby Wipes because, apparently, they are among the most toxic. Also, Gwendolyn's diaper rash really got better after I stopped using them. I figured...while I've totally gone off the deep end...on the diaper end, why don't I keep going! I am going to use cloth wipes. I just put them in my empty baby wipe box and pour water over them. There are tons of cool wipe solution recipes out there...but, with these diapers, you are not supposed to use anything oily b/c it messes with the absorbency. Some people still use a drop or two of tea tree oil or something...but I think I'm going to keep waiting to get a non-oily, non-soapy recipe. I've been using water on her butt for a month now...and we are doing just fine. I figure if the cloth wipe thing gets to be a real problem...i can always go back to water and paper towels.
- I also am using the diaper sprayer. I need to hook it up tonight. some people scrape the poop into the toilet (when it's solid). I liked the idea of spraying it off, and many swear by this little gadget.
- Last, but certainly not least, is the detergent. It actually really does matter what you use. Detergents with any additives or brighteners can totally mess your absorbency up and you'll wind up having to do a lot of crap to get them back to where they work. I chose Allen's Naturally detergent because it's supposed to be one of the best for use with cloth diapers...and like I said, I'm not in the mood for trial and error.
You'll see, below, that I've hung suspension rods (shower curtain rods) under the shelf in my laundry room. There are two (one behind the other). I've decided that my diapers, apart from the padding that goes in them, will be hung to dry. In Arizona, it's about a 5 hour (or less) process. It will extend the life of these diapers and that makes me happy.
- So, I started out trying to find something with a little less chemicals than the disposable diapers and now, even with choosing the synthetic cloth, I am totally pumped up about the life change. I'm excited to not buy anymore diaper products. I am excited to have comfy, cozy diapers that work awesome. I even really like the idea that I will have less garbage. Who knew?
- What's even cooler is the fact that my husband is totally into it too. I think he gets excited for all the same reasons. Without his interest and support, I'm sure this would be a no-go. Okay, I think I've gone on about as long as I possibly can...for now!
- Okay, my awesome nephew, Hunter, is the coolest kid on the block and with his new baby brother, Levi, on the way...Hunter is in the market for some cool big-boy bunk beds and a bangin' futon.
- Now, Hunter's got one HOT, crazy momma. After suffering defeat in the last Craigslist bunk-bed war, my sister-in-law found the address of her opponent and showed up threatening his first born child!
- Now, I may be a little off on the details, but let's just say that things are getting pretty serious. Last call I made to the house, my brother had been painting the new baby's nursery into the wee hours of the night and was not allowed to sleep until the job was done. Like I said...maybe I'm a little off on the details...but it goes something like that.
- So, I'm calling on all of you to help stop the madness. If ANYONE hears ANYTHING about someone in Tucson or Phoenix who is selling one such cool bunk-bed or bangin' futon...please let me know!!!!
- You can contact me or have them email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, April 02, 2009
- Hey EVERYONE...My friend is a finalist to get lasik eye surgery in a Phoenix Suns Fan Competition. The finalists will be selected based on fan voting! His name is Aaron and his very kind and wonderful wife is Jean. They are expecting a baby girl this summer.
- Will you follow these 3 easy steps and VOTE for him???!!!!!!
- 1. Go to http://www.nba.com/suns/fans/vision_challenge.html
2. Enter your name and email address.
3. Click on ackelley's video and VOTE.
- I think you can vote once EVERY DAY until April 10th.
- THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU