So, I've been wanting the book Super Baby Food, but my library doesn't have it and I am trying this new thing where I don't always run out and buy everything I want at all times...not as fun as it sounds.
So, I decided to come up with something of my own. Gwendolyn hated green beans and egg yolk was just too dry...but I wanted to give her both of these things. I also needed something hearty and nutritious that I could have on hand (in the freezer and fridge) for when I didn't have the time or energy to find, cook, and cut-up a good lunch for her. My Green Eggs and Quinoa is a SMASHING success!!!! I had heard about Quinoa (Keen-wa) and found mine at Costco. I'm sure this would work for other grains, such as Millet or Rice, too!
2-3 cups cooked Quinoa (Millet, Rice, etc.)
2+ cups of steamed green beans (reserve the cooking liquid!)
4 hard boiled egg yolks
Butter -or coconut oil- (to taste)
Sea Salt (to taste)
(Keep in mind...I have NO idea how to write or express a RECIPE. These amounts may or may not be good ratios...it's just how I did it and it worked for me.)
I put mine into baby cubes and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Cook Quinoa (or other grain), set aside
- Hard Boil Eggs and separate yolks, set aside
- Steam Green Beans until tender, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Place green beans into Blender (or food processor) and add cooking liquid to make a pureed consistency.
- Add Egg Yolks to Blender. you will need to add more green bean cooking liquid to maintain the moist, pureed consistency to the green bean/egg mixture.
- Mix the Green Bean/Egg Puree into the Cooked Quinoa. add sea salt and butter to taste. I think these helped with partially disguising the strong green bean smell and taste.
Gwendolyn LOVED this little porridge and wanted a double portion. I did find that my batch seemed a little dry (probably not enough liquid in the puree) but she didn't mind and I just kept her sippy cup filled with water!