My mom made this one, often, when I was growing up.
It's Easy, quick to prepare and very tasty!
The original Recipe calls for a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and an envelope of dry onion soup mix.
As I've been reading my labels a little closer, lately, I have been wanting to find tasty alternatives to products with ingredients such as vegetable oil, modified food starch, monosodium glutamate (MSG), high fructose corn syrup, etc. Although I spend more time in my kitchen these days, it is still a place where I am not at all creative...I just get on the Internet and copy other people's ideas and recipes.
Enjoy your Roast!
Roast & Mushroom Sauce in the Crock Pot
1 (2 to 2 1/2lb.) boneless beef chuck roast
-we have, many times, used a sirloin roast and often a much bigger one (for leftovers!)
3 garlic cloves (or garlic powder) - more if you like! Salt Pepper
1 Condensed Creamed Soup Substitute (Recipe from Passionate Homemaking)
-I cut the milk almost in half, and used the full amount of soup made from this recipe
-OR use a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
6 potatoes (or how ever many can fit in your crock pot!), cut into chunky pieces
-my sister uses sweet potatoes and it's really yummy, too!
4 large carrots (again, more if you want), cut into chunky pieces
1 onion (cut into chunky pieces)
- Place veggies in first - as many as will fit under the roast and still allow the Lid to close (so the juices will run down over them)
- Place the roast in the crock pot and rub with garlic
- SPrinkle a light layer of Salt and Pepper on to the roast
- Place any remaining veggies around and on top of the roast
- Pour the Mushroom Soup over the top and spread around a little
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hrs or until Roast is tender