This Abundant Life

This Abundant Life
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." - John 10:10

Friday, November 18, 2011

The Advent Season

This picture has nothing to do with the post...he's just cute.

This year is when it begins! Bic and I are going to do an advent celebration with our children! No more waiting for all the pretty Crate&Barrel and Anthropologie ornaments to fill the Jesse Tree. Well, I'm waiting...not so much Bic. I don't even think he knows that I want them.

I still want those ornaments...and I'm going to get them :), but for now, we are going to use things we have around the house and celebrate the coming of Christ with treats, activities and the beautiful scriptures that God has already given to us. The Kids will love it...they don't even like Crate&Barrel and Anthropologie...silly kids.

I found a great (and FREE) resource with all the Advent readings and some extras. Check it out at Ann Voskamp's A Holy Experience Blog. By signing up to receive her posts, you get an extensive Advent Jesse Tree Printable, for Free! I've skimmed it and I am really looking forward to using it.

Our "Jesse Tree", this year, is a mix between a "calendar" and a "tree." I have a ton of small brown paper sacks and a bunch of varied Christmas ribbon scraps and I'm going to make a little bag for each day of advent and string them (with an ornament hanger) up on decorative garland on our book shelves. Inside I am going to put the scripture for that day and some sort of fun and quick little activity the kids and I can do that day...I still need some ideas for that, if you have any please leave them in the comments.

I saw one idea that said "eat a candy cane off the tree." My kids will LOVE that. fun. simple. delicious. Oh, I'll also number the bags (if I run out of time, it might just be with a Sharpie :). Here's the start...


Happy Holiday Fun planning to YOU!

No comments: