This Abundant Life

This Abundant Life
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." - John 10:10

Friday, October 29, 2010

Chef Jenn

I think I know why so many stay-at-home moms get into cooking/baking.
  • much of the time you can do it with your kids
  • it doesn't require packing everyone in the car and listening to them screaming from their car seats
  • you have to feed people anyway, you may as well make it interesting
  • if you are staying at home, in the first place, you often are looking for ways to spend less on food
  • it's a flexible activity that often works well with interruptions
  • it's controllable...a concept that pretty much goes out the window with babies!
Anyway, it's become a new hobby and a definite phase I am going through. Lately, I've been learning how to make soups because a) they are really easy, b) they often freeze really well, c) they can be made inexpensively and nutritiously, and d) the ones I'm making are good for weight control and over-all healthy eating.

I wanted to write this post because I discovered the absolute ease of making broth/stock. Those boxes of broth are expensive and have little flavor...but you need broth to make soup.

As you know, I get all my ideas from other people and am, myself, completely incompetent in the kitchen...which proves you don't have to be a good cook to enjoy it : ). So, here is me following vegetable broth instructions from this website and here is a DELICIOUS and VERY EASY chicken broth recipe from Heavenly Homemakers. I can't wait to make more...just waiting on whole chickens to go on sale!

BTW...I freeze this broth in canning jars (only 3/4 full) and pull them out when I'm ready for them. I'm trying to slow down my learning new things, lately, so that I can pay more attention to loving my 2-year-old...but when I have the time, I am totally going to learn canning!

BTW (2)...apparently, using veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc...will make your stock stinky...that's not what you want...so, Google which veggies to stay away from.


Most of these veggie pieces are from meals I had already made this week. Just keep a bag of scrap veggies in your fridge (or in your freezer, for longer periods)...you can see my frozen onion pieces at the bottom!



It's always good to have some extra help! It's even BETTER when there is an additional person in the background sucking ice off the dirty kitchen floor.


Give your pot a look-over, and be sure you have everything you need...pour in the water and add some spice!

Next on my list...Veggie Mama's Split Pea and Lentil Soup!

5 comments:

Esquire's Wife said...

You amaze me!

Josh and Jenni said...

I used to always cook with M in the moby wrap. You are so good at being a mom. And now chef!!

Lindsay said...

I CANNOT get over how much he looks like Levi...SERIOUSLY!! Yummy! (both baby and soup) :)

coach outlet said...

coach handbags outletcoach handbags outlet
coach outlet handbagscoach outlet handbags
coach outlet factorycoach outlet factory
coach factory outletcoach factory outlet
coach outletcoach outlet
coach outlet storecoach outlet store
coach outlet onlinecoach outlet online

Coach NecklacesCoach Necklaces
Coach Jewelry Set Coach Necklaces
coach sunglassescoach sunglasses
coach braceletscoach bracelets
Coach HeelsCoach Heels
Coach High HeelsCoach High Heels
Coach WedgesCoach Wedges
Coach SneakersCoach Sneakers
coach earringscoach earrings

Desmond said...

Hi Im Desmond.....The kid luks cute and the recipie is colourful...:)