Okay, I would like to begin by saying that I am happy with the choice to cloth-diaper, and it is working out for my particular family.
However, I am also a person who has been known to hate it when the decisions or choices I make don't turn out to be completely perfect in every way. But, since I'm on a real growing spree (spiritually, mentally, emotionally), as of late...I've been, more often, interested in sharing the details of those everything-I-do-is-not-perfect moments. Needless to say...my friends already know this ;)!
I was talking to a friend the other day who has weighed the option of cloth-diapering, and for many good and valuable reasons...has decided she must pass on it, for her family. She was disappointed and I though she, and maybe others, might be interested in the following...You’ve heard of the advantages of Cloth-Diapering…but here’s what your friends haven’t told you!
- The laundry is, LITERALLY, never done!
- The inserts may only take 10 minutes to stuff into the pockets, but it is, seriously, the most annoying part of my day.
- Yeah, the big cloth-diaper-butt can be cute…but my 8 month old can’t fit into 12-18 month pants and I’ve had to make many extra trips to the mall (with a crying baby) to return the bottoms I was sure were big enough to fit!
- I’ve recently discovered that what they say about cloth diapers and rash creams not mixing, is actually TRUE. Stripping (not a naked dance) your diapers takes time and it is just one more thing to do in a mommy-day that probably doesn’t need extra things in it.
- There’s always the POOP. Truth be told…this winds up not being that big of a deal…but it is still POOP!
- I thought by diaper bag was full before…these things don’t hold a candle to the flat, skinny profile of a disposable.
- Inevitably, once you begin down that cloth diaper route, you will wind up turning into some crazy woman who not only obsesses about her cloth diapers, but feels the need to always be talking to others about them!!!